Scope of Prize
SULSA wish to award outstanding early career scientists whose work shows excellent potential to make an impact in the field of life sciences.
This prize allows exceptional postdocs to raise their profile in Scotland and have a prestigious award on their CV. It includes a fully-funded tour of three Scottish Universities where the awardee will deliver a seminar and meet with staff in order to raise their profile around Scotland, and develop their independent networks.
In addition, the awardee will receive £2,000 of flexible funding to be used at their discretion for attending conferences, buying consumables, attending training courses or visiting collaborators etc.
- Applicants must be a postdoctoral researcher in the life sciences and hold a PhD
- Applicants must be based at a SULSA institution and work in a PI’s laboratory
- This award is not suitable for researchers who are setting up their own laboratory
- Applicants must have 12 months remaining on their contract/current funding from the 1st January 2020
- Applicants can self-nominate
There will be a winner for each of our four SULSA themes:
- Development and Regulation (includes fundamental disease-related research)
- Technology & Analysis
- Understanding and Treating Disease (includes clinical and pre-clinical research)
Applicants will be judged on:
- Research Vision
- Scientific merit and potential
- Publication output and grant funding
- Research impact such as public engagement, policy work, knowledge exchange, other impact
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to present a 3-minute thesis style presentation to our judging panel. You must be available to attend this event on Thursday 16th April 2020 in Edinburgh City Centre. If you are unable to attend, you cannot be considered.
Key Dates & Important Information
- Friday 14th February 2020 – Application Deadline
- Mid-March 2020 – Shortlisted Candidates Notified
- Thursday 16th April 2020 – Present Thesis Style Presentation to Judging Panel in Edinburgh & Successful Applicants Notified
- During 2020 – Tour
Organisation of Tour
If successful, you will manage the organisation and logistics of your seminar tour. SULSA will be available to help with introductions where required.
Payment of Funds
If successful, funds will be transferred to your Institution and must be spent by the end of 2021.
You must provide SULSA with project updates and outcomes when requested for reporting purposes.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Friday 14th February 2020
Funding Guidelines: For a printout of the above information, please download our ECR Prize Guidelines
For more information, please contact the SULSA Operations Officer Jill.Inkster@glasgow.ac.uk