Scope of Prize
SULSA wish to award outstanding early career scientists whose work shows excellent potential to make an impact in the field of life sciences.
This prize allows exceptional postdocs to raise their profile in Scotland and have a prestigious award on their CV. It includes a fully-funded tour of three Scottish Universities where the awardee will deliver a seminar and meet with staff in order to raise their profile around Scotland, and develop their independent networks.
In addition, the awardee will receive £2,000 of flexible funding to be used at their discretion for attending conferences, buying consumables, attending training courses or visiting collaborators etc.
- Applicants must be a postdoctoral researcher in the life sciences and hold a PhD
- Applicants must be based at a SULSA institution and work in a PI’s laboratory
- This award is not suitable for researchers who are setting up their own laboratory
- Applicants must have 12 months remaining on their contract/current funding from the 1st January 2019
- Applicants can self-nominate
There will be a winner for each of our four SULSA themes:
- Development and Regulation (includes fundamental disease-related research)
- Technology & Analysis
- Understanding and Treating Disease (includes clinical and pre-clinical research)
Applicants will be judged on:
- Research Vision
- Scientific merit and potential
- Publication output and grant funding
- Research impact such as public engagement, policy work, knowledge exchange, other impact
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to present a 3-minute thesis style presentation to our judging panel on Monday 11th March 2019 in central Edinburgh. You must be available to attend this event. If you are unable to attend you cannot be considered.
Key Dates & Important Information
Monday 14th January 2019 – Application Deadline
Mid-February 2019 – Shortlisted Candidates Notified
Monday 11th March 2019 – Present Thesis Style Presentation to Judging Panel in Edinburgh
End of March 2019 – Successful Applicants Notified
During 2019 – Tour
Organisation of Tour
If successful, you will liaise with your SULSA Theme Advisor at the Universities you will be visiting to organise the logistics of the seminar visit.
Payment of Funds
If successful, funds will be transferred to your Institution and must be spent by the end of 2020.
You must provide SULSA with project updates and outcomes when requested for reporting purposes.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday 14th January 2019 at 5pm
Funding Guidelines: For a printout of the above information, please download our ECR Prize Guidelines
For more information contact the SULSA Operations Officer – Jill.Inkster@glasgow.ac.uk